Pastie time

Hello friends! I thought I would put up a semi tutorial about nipple patsies, which are incredibly easy to make but even easier to spend loads on. Now don’t get me wrong, if I’m doing an important show, or I feel a pair goes perfectly with my costume, I might buy online and fork out for a super fancy pair, but as most of my costumes are made by yours truly, the only way to get them to look exactly how you want them is to make them yourself. This pair I made for a winter wonderland act last Christmas and went down a storm.
WP_20150816_002

Stuff I used;
1. Craft foam
2. Hot glue gun
3. White lace
4. Feathers and bead from craft store

Here’s how I did it;

1. First I cut two circles out of my craft foam, I used something about an inch bigger than I wanted them as a finished product, as they will be folded over (and obviously to leave room for cock ups)

2. I found the diameter of my circle and cut a line to the middle.

3. I folded the edges slightly over, using the curve of my uh…. appendages? To figure out how I wanted them to sit.

4. I glued a thin line and pressed the edges together so I have the general form of my pastie.

5. Now to decorate. I usually put the folded line to the bottom of the pastie so it sits right, then decorate appropriately. For these I used ribbon to create stripes.

6. I attached feathers to the back of them with my trusty hot glue gun and covered the back of them with another piece of ribbon for comfort.

7. Voilà, finished. These ones I attach with cover tape and find that they hold fine. I had these under a corset and they are pretty hardy.

There you go. Easy, now go forth and hold miscellaneous round things over your boobs to find the right circle shape. (guaranteed to happen)

The beginnings of Firebird

Well hello, recently I’ve been trying to decide what kind of burlesque performer I am, and I’ve come to the conclusion that one should think back to what you loved when you were a child. Before that sounds too weird what I mean to suggest is for me I was in love with mythology. Literally anything that didn’t technically exist I was obsessed with, so from this mark I started thinking about the phoenix, and started developing firebird. This act is a little different from anything I’ve done before, being slightly more grandiose and focusing on the more traditional aspects of burlesque. This one, I’m not going to lie, is going to be a bitch to make, lots of deconstructable parts and such, but I reckon it’ll pack quite the visual punch when I’m finished with it. I’ve managed to screw up my back at the moment so I’m demoted to designing and sketching. I’ll show you what I have so far…

WP_20150809_003
See the rhinestoned glory of this?
WP_20150809_002
I’m going for a metric ton of beading here.
A rudimentary first sketch, but you can see where I'm going with this
A rudimentary first sketch, but you can see where I’m going with this

I always work my costume design in layers, it helps me visualise in what order everything comes of and how it all works. I’ll keep you updated on the progress as I go!

Big flappy dress thing

On my recent trip to Cornwall to visit the Oracle, (aka my Mother) I got over my aversion to fusty smells and golly ceramic statues and decided to delve into the charity shop bins.

In said bins I found a delightful shiny shirt which I intended to chop up and make something out of, however after trying on this beauty I decided to love it for what it is, I think you’ll agree it would be a bit of a crime to massacre this number

WP_20150803_022

It’s like I read on a very helpful website, take the surroundings of a charity shop away from the clothes and you will probably find something you would snap right up from a high street shop. Never underestimate the sexiness of marketing and advertising guys.

Another gem I found in my new found favourite place was this great big flappy mess.

WP_20150803_016

I liked the neckline, which is why I bought this for a meagre £2.50. A passable summer dress is what I had in mind, after a good old fashioned taking in session of course. So I pinned and I stitched and lovingly re-stitched the arm holes, and completely screwed it up. I made it a couple of inches too small on both sides, not accounting for the unstretchyness of the material. The neckline however was saveable, so I unpacked it and deemed it usable for a burlesque costume. You live and learn you guys, I’ve got plans for you little neck collar….